Acu-Tech Disposable Poly Welding Wipes
Poly Welding Isopropyl Wipes for HDPE pipe remove contamination which could potentially cause fusion joint failure. Measuring 420 mm by 143 mm, the heavy duty disposable wipes also assist installers to save time in electrofusion and butt fusion weld jointing. The isopropanol alcohol in the wipe helps water or moisture on the surface to evaporate, leaving the poly pipe surface clean and dry.
Acu-Tech’s convenient and safe Polyweld wipes are 90% isopropyl alcohol impregnated and come in a tub of 75. The lid is easy to use and helps prevent the wipes drying out quickly. Instructions for how to use these polywipes is included on the side of the tub. Use each wipe once only – reuse could contaminate the fusion zone. Do not touch the fusion area after cleaning.
These Polyweld wipes are 90% Isopropyl alcohol impregnated, as opposed to isopropyl medical cleaning wipes or ‘Isowipes’, which are only 70% impregnated. This percentage of isopropyl alcohol is critical, as the 90% isopropyl alcohol content ensures that all oil, grease, and other contaminants will be removed, as per Australian Standards. A 70% isopropyl alcohol content wipe will not have the same degree of contamination removal, and therefore is not recommended for electrofusion welding of HDPE pipes. Poly welding wipes are different to kitchen/bathroom alcohol wipes, medical alcohol wipes or industrial isopropyl cleaning wipes, which may contain lanolin and/or detergent – see PIPA’s recommendations on surface preparation below.
PolyWeld Wipes can be purchased individually or in a box of 12 tubs.
To purchase poly welding wipes, fill out the form below, and our sales team will send you a quote!
Note that the requirement to use 90% Isopropyl Alcohol Wipes and using them only once is not a ruse to sell more alcohol wipes – removing contamination is a critical part of the welding process, and even the slightest contamination can result in catastrophic weld failure.
PIPA Recommendations on Surface Preparation:
Page 11 of Electrofusion Jointing of PE Pipes and Fittings for Pressure Applications (POP001): 2.1.2 Surface Preparation – Cleaning
The surfaces to be EF welded must be completely clean and free of contaminants. It is essential to clean the peeled surface with unused approved alcohol wipes to remove traces of dirt, mud and other contamination. Do not under any circumstances use methylated spirits, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) or other solvents to clean the fusion area. Rags of any kind with or without any alcohol solvent are not to be used to clean the fusion area given the possibility of introducing dye, dirt, detergent, fabric conditioner or other contaminants into the fusion zone.
Other important factors relating to the use of alcohol wipes:
- Ensure wipes are saturated with alcohol i.e. have not dried out.
- When using the wipe work from the prepared (peeled) surface towards the unprepared area and discard the wipe after it has come in contact with any unprepared areas. Wiping from unprepared areas towards the prepared surface can contaminate the fusion surface and similarly using a wipe which has been used on an unprepared surface can also introduce contaminants.
- Only use the wipe once.
- Do not wipe over the witness mark.
- Do not touch the prepared pipe surface with bare or contaminated hands – sweat, sunscreen, barrier cream, soap, detergent, dirt and skin oils are all potential sources of contamination. Disposable latex or nitrile powder free gloves are recommended when handling the wipes for preparation of the surface.
- Ensure alcohol left by the wipe on the cleaned surface has evaporated and the prepared surfaces are completely dry before assembling the joint.
- Ensure that any part of the wipe that is in contact with your hand does not make contact with the joint surface
- Refer to the electrofusion fitting supplier for the correct selection of alcohol wipes – Kitchen/bathroom and/or personal cleaning wipes may contain lanolin and/or detergent which will contaminate the pipe surface and therefore cannot be used in electrofusion jointing procedures.
- For larger diameter pipes use multiple polyweld surface wipes.
Cleaning of the prepared surface is a critical step and one that has the potential to introduce contaminants if not done correctly – remember this is the surface that is about to be welded and the presence of contaminates can readily result in a poorly welded joint. See https://www.pipa.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/tn001_0.pdf
Download the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) or SDS (Safety Data Sheet) for Acu-Tech’s 90% Isopropyl Welding Wipes: